The University High School Band
There is no audition for general membership in the University Band. If you are willing to commit to the band, the band will commit to you! However, there are auditions for our advanced ensembles. Requirements are indicated below.
Performing Arts Magnet
Students in the University High School Performing & Fine Arts Magnet Program are be immersed in an intense, four-year track featuring extensive involvement in our performing ensembles and the study of music theory and history. The magnet program is open to students who are not ordinarily zoned for University High School.
This year's audition will take place on Saturday, February 23. Please visit www.SchoolChoice.OCPS.net to find us and apply.
For wind players and percussionists, the magnet audition consists of the following:
- 12 major scales
- A prepared solo of the student's choice
- A sight-reading étude
Please note that a regular ensemble audition will still be required for class placement.
Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble
The Symphonic Band/Wind Ensemble audition will consist of the following.
- All twelve major scales, with arpeggios
- The chromatic scale (two octaves)
- The 2019-2020 audition music (select from the drop-down menu below)
Auditions take place during class the week of April 15.
Incoming students can make an appointment to audition after school on April 15 or 16 by contacting a band director.
Percussion auditions will consist of the following:
- Perform a reputable work for mallet percussion (either 2 or 4 mallet).
- Perform Etude No. 10 from Intermediate Snare Drum Studies by Mitchell Peters, beginning to the end of measure 36.
- Perform Etude No. 4 from Pedal to the Kettle by Kirk Gay, page 11, beginning to measure 17, beat 1.
- Perform 12 major scales in All-State pattern. Start in the key of C and move in the Circle of 4ths: C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, B, E, A, D, G.
The Big Band audition will consist of the following.
- Audition for Symphonic Band/Wind Ensemble
- The 2019-2020 jazz audition music (select from the drop-down menu below)
The drum set audition will consist of the following three études: