Considered "America's Classical Music," UHS is proud to offer two full jazz ensembles. These groups perform at a variety of events throughout the year and allow students to explore the history, technique, and performance of swing, Latin, rock, funk, fusion, and any other style of jazz music! Big Band is by audition only; Introductory Jazz is open to all.
Jazz MPA• We will have a final rehearsal on Thursday, March 23 from 4:00 - 6:00 PM.
• State Jazz MPA will take place on Friday, March 24 at Apopka High School.
• You are responsible for your own transportation.
• We will meet in front of the cafeteria at 5:45 PM.
• Our performance is at 7:00 PM.
All County Jazz Band• Audition material is available here; thank you to Robert Krahn and the West Orange High School Band.
• Congratulations to Tomas Viravong, Joshua Mercado and Royniel Perez for making it into this year's All County Jazz Band!
• All County Jazz Band rehearsals will take place on the following days:
- Thursday, March 30, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
- Thursday, April 6, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
- Friday, April 7, 6:00 - 8:30 PM
- Saturday, April 8, 10:00 - 1:00 PM
The Big Band audition will consist of:• All twelve major scales.
• The 2016 University Jazz Audition Music (select from the drop-down menu below) • The drum set audition will consist of sixteen bars each the following styles:
- swing• All Big Band applicants must also audition for Wind Ensemble/Symphonic Band or Advanced/Intermediate Percussion.
- bossa nova.